Friday, March 18, 2011

For Me, Mama?



Since I've been a mother, the majority of my handmade creations have gone to my children....straight from the knitting needles or sewing machine, onto someone's little body. There is something so satisfying in being able to clothe my children in garments made with my own hands. There is something almost sacred in it...putting love into every stitch...seeing them take shape and then bring so much JOY to the receiver.

In December of last year, I started to rack my brain, trying to think of a way I could continue to stay at home with my young children and make some sort of an income. With my husband being off work with an illness (ulcerative colitis), and awaiting major surgery, and I with a little one still at the breast...we had to come up with a plan.

Being a stay at home mom for the past 18 years has been a very rewarding experience...and I'm so grateful I've had the opportunity to be home with my children during these tender years, but I do feel I am a little behind, with very little "work experience" under my belt. Don't get me wrong...I have been WORKING...motherhood is definitely not for the faint of heart, but just not in ways that the world would necessarily recognize as valuable.

So what to do? I decided to start a business from the home. A friend of mine introduced me to the website www.etsy.com and the lightbulb went on!! I could sew, knit, crochet, whatever, and then sell my items online! I opened a shop and called it Handmaiden Canada.

Now, what to sell?

My sister, Shanti, gave me the idea of making Waldorf Dolls. She had been browsing online and seen how cute they were, and had also seen the waiting lists for them. I ordered enough supplies to make 2 dolls, and I was hooked! What fun it was to dream up ideas...eye and hair colours, textures, fabric combinations...oooh the possibilities were endless! I spent just *a few* sleepless nights with visions of dollies dancing through my head. :)
With much patience from my enduring husband, I went on to order supplies for more dolls...and things just continued to take off...more and more dollies were born...and three have been sold to date. ;)

My girls (I have 6 daughters who still love dolls) started to put in orders. I couldn't give them all away though, could I? How would I ever start a business if I did that?

I explained this to them and they are happy to wait for their birthdays, or Christmas...all except little Nadia (one year old). She doesn't know the meaning of the word "wait". :)

She has been watching me with rapt interest as I've been creating these bright, fun dollies and she constantly wants to reach out to hug and touch. I've tried to keep them out of reach...but it's hard. I actually had to start working on them only when she was sleeping in order to avoid frustration on both of our parts!

So....today I finished making her her very OWN dolly!



As I put this little girl in Nadia arms, she had the hugest grin... spread from ear to ear and she started dancing around and around, all the while hugging her new baby. Now THIS is what motherhood and life is all about...being able to share in this pure, unfettered JOY!

12 comments:

  1. Awww - look how happy she is. And what kid wouldn't be with such a cool doll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is gorgeous! Nadia must be thrilled! Is she allowing you to create more now that she has her very own? xo
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, when she starts to grab for things, I give her her baby and away she goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I can see why she was watching with rapt attention! That doll is MAGNIFICENT! The rainbow hair. The charming outfit. Wow! And they ALL look equally fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome job! The doll's hair matches her expression! you can see the love and pride of owning such a wonderful doll.
    Thanks for following my blog. BTW, I was looking for an email link or email info. Couldn't find one. Do you want it that way?
    Cheers, look forward to learning more about your life in the sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything in your shop is so unique and beautiful. And those dolls are precious!! Keep up the great work!
    Look forward to following your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I just found you via twig and toadstool. LOVE your dollies, and your little one obviously loves hers. What a lucky little one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful dolls and what a great idea for a shop. I hope your husband is feeling better. My Mum was diagnosed with that at the end of last year and it's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys! Just FYI, my email is beckydecarle@gmail.com

    Please feel free to email anytime.

    Michelle, I would like to talk to you some more. How is your mom doing these days?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love your dolls!! Especially your little brown haired Waldorf Guy!

    ReplyDelete