Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Presenting the Tried and True, Nutritious and Delicious..."Breakfast Wrap"

If you're like me, you're always scrambling (no pun intended :P) for something to make the kids for breakfast that fills all the criteria...yummy, easy, and good for you!

This recipe was introduced to our family by an Italian bachelor friend (who must have learned how to cook from his "momma"). He was over one time and as the dinner hour approached, I started to panic a little inside. We were having a great conversation...but what the heck was I going to make for dinner? I started to reach for that proverbial "can of beans",but he stopped me, opened the fridge and started rummaging around and grabbing stuff. "Let me show you something", he said. I took a deep breath, swallowed my pride and let him work his magic. The knife was a blur, the hand gestures "a plenty"...and within minutes, a delicious, steaming hot "Breakfast Wrap" was placed before me! Who cares that this wasn't breakfast time...this was delicious, and I didn't have to make it...even better. :) He went ahead to make one for everyone and received rave reviews from even the pickiest members of the household!

This recipe has become a staple in our household. It is great for busy mornings, after school snacks, as well as impromptu "dinner parties". :)

Here's what you need:



1 egg
butter (or olive oil)
any combination of veggies (garlic, onions, mushrooms (I used Portabella), peppers)
grated cheese
tortilla
*makes one serving

If you have kids like mine, the recipe is even simpler. All you need is 1 egg, butter, grated cheese and one tortilla :)

Here are the steps:

1. Saute veggies in the pan in butter or oil.


2. Lightly beat egg with a fork.


3. Pour into the pan with the veggies and move pan around to spread it out.


4. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the egg.


5. Place tortilla on top and press down firmly (careful not to burn your wrist...I speak from experience!)

6. Roll up and enjoy!


Isn't that easy?! And the beauty of this wrap recipe, as opposed to other ones, is that the egg stays inside the wrap, rather than in a pile on the plate. :)

2 comments: